About us | Overview
Who are we?
Boesmans-Kariega Estuary Care Management Forum (Estuary Care)
To ensure responsible and sustainable preservation and use of the Boesmans and Kariega Estuaries and their tributaries and environs from their source to their mouths and the adjacent coastal area.
What we do
Our estuaries are two of the nine estuaries which fall within the Ndlambe Municipal region and they are classed as permanently open estuaries in a warm temperate zone.
They are at the heart of our communities and they provide a life supporting habitat for many types of fish, birds, mammals, crustaceans, flora and fauna. They are irreplaceable and must be managed carefully to the mutual benefit for all to enjoy, and for those who depend on them. It is imperative that we protect and care for them.
- Assist with and advise on the formulation and implementation of Government Policy regarding sustainable coastal and estuarine environmental management in South Africa with particular reference to the Boesmans and Kariega areas.
Monitor water quality and pollution in both Estuaries.
- Maintain existing signage in both Estuaries in cooperation with respective authorities and arrange for new signs as and when required.
- Initiate repairs and upgrading work for jetties, slipways, towpaths and paths.
- Keep a watching brief on new property developments especially those which impact on the Boesmans and Kariega Estuaries.
- Liaise and work with other organisations which have similar objectives.
- Initiate projects which have a bearing and impact on our Estuaries.